Thursday, September 24, 2009

Three Questions for Christian Leaders

By the rivers of Babylon, There we sat down, yea, we wept when we remembered Zion. We hung our harps upon the willows in the midst of it. For there, those who carried us away captive asked of us a song.

And those who plundered us requested mirth. Saying, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!" How shall we sing the Lord's song in a foreign land? If I forget you, O Jerusalem, Let my right hand forget its skill! If I do not remember you, Let my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth - If I do not exalt Jerusalem above my chief joy. Psalm 137:1-6

Three great issues erupt from the lyrics of this psalm: the writer dreams, the writer cries, and the writer sings. No wonder the people wept - the Jews had been exiled to Babylon. No wonder they sang - they could not forget Zion, the land of their birth. No wonder they dreamed - they hoped and prayed for the day of their return home.

These issues pose great questions for every leader:

What do you dream about? What would you do if you had no fear of failure?
What do you cry about? What burdens drive you to become passionate?
What do you sing about? What causes you to rejoice?

No comments: